Cable-Stay Bridges

b60cf64928c49f5f

Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 2.25.29 PM

Hello  ranchers,

These are a few images of  a cable stayed bridge. The first bridge on the left is a different design  of a cable stayed bridge. I am almost sure that the first bridge is in Spain. The other image is to show the where the tension is ,and how the weight travels to the ground. The white arrows represents the weight and the red  arrows represents the tension. In Oregon there is only one cable stayed bridge called the Tilikum Crossing. The person that designed the bridge was named Donald McDonald. This is how the weight travels. The first thing is the weight. Lets say a car drives over a cable stayed bridge where does the weight go? The weight travels through the cables.The cables are connected to the pylon. So the weight goes through the cables to the pylon and through the pylon, it goes to the ground.

What is your favorite cable stayed bridge?

6 thoughts on “Cable-Stay Bridges”

1. Dear Neil,
    I loved looking at your images of a cable stayed bridge. It’s interesting to read your paragraph on how the tension and weight affect the design of the bridge. The answer to your question is that I like the Tilikum Crossing. (In fairness to the other cable stayed bridges, I’ll have to look at more pictures of them.)

Thanks for giving us an example of how the weight travels,
    Mrs. Fordyce

2. Dear Neil,
    My favorite cable-stayed bridge is the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City. (It’s actually a hybrid cable-stayed suspension bridge) I love going to visit NYC and when you walk over the bridge, you have an amazing view of the Manhattan skyline.
    Have you been over the Tilikum Crossing?
    From, Ms. Caba

1. Dear Ms Caba,

I have seen pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge on Ethan’s Blog. I have not been to New York but would love to visit it some day.

Me and my brother rode our bikes across the Tilikum Crossing. It was a lot of fun.

From,

Neil

3. Dear Neil,
    Your post is very strong.
    I love how you formatted your paragraph on cable-stay bridges.
    My favorite cable-stayed bridge is the Millau Viaduct.
    I also like the Brooklyn Bridge, if that counts.
    That bridge is in Sevilla, Spain.
    It is called Puente de Alamillo.
    From Ethan

4. Dear Neil,
    I like that the weight of the car goes through the cables. How strong does the cables have to be? How big are most of the bridge.
    From
    Ciaran.