A Ranch

home1

This post is about ranches. People who own or run a ranch are called ranchers, cattlemen, or stockgrowers (mostly known as ranchers). People who work on a ranch are called “Buckaroos”. The word Buckaroo comes from the Spanish word Vaquero. A tourist that visits a ranch is called a guest rancher or a dude. The ranching tradition started in Spain. A ranch is just like a farm. But a ranch is a bit bigger and has cattle and other farm animals like chickens, pigs and horses. The word ranch is a Spanish word. Ranches are almostĀ  always found in the west of America in dry spots like Arizona and some parts of California. There are also many in Australia, where they are called stations.

Have you been to a ranch?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/130302225705-cowboy-vacation-doublerafter-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

6 thoughts on “A Ranch”

1. Dear Neil,
    I was thrilled today when you launched the idea about this post. I really enjoyed the information you posted. I didn’t realize that the ranch tradition started in Spain. Yes, I have been to the ranch in Room 26 as well as many ranches in Montana where I grew up. Have you visited any other ranch Neil?

Here’s to room 26,
    Mrs. Fordyce

2. Dear Neil
    I like your post on ranches. It is so cool that a person that worked for a ranch were called cattlemen. I like the picture that you did and I like your spelling you really put it in your own words.
    From
    Carter