Madagascar Giant Day Gecko

madagascar_day_gecko_L

This post is about the animal I chose to research, the Madagascar Giant Day Gecko. It is found in Madagascar, Florida and a few other islands. It is light green and it’s tummy is pale yellow. It’s skin feels like leather. It has red spots on its back and a red stripes from it’s eye to it’s snout. Also, there is a red triangle between the stripes.  It eats fruit crabs, scorpions, bugs, and in zoos even baby food. Some times it eats its own babies. It’s predators are snakes and birds. It is the master at escaping it’s predators .To escape it’s predators it changes color to a darker green to match the leaves and some times it drops its’tail. (It’s tail grows back). It’s tail is as long as the rest of its body. It does not have eye lids, so to keep it’s eyes wet it licks its eyes. It lays mostly 2 eggs at a time. Some people have them as pets. The Madagascar giant day gecko is endangered. Have you ever seen the geico gecko on television?71546824_640

He is a Madagascar giant day gecko. If you have not  seen the geico gecko then here is a image of him above.

8 thoughts on “Madagascar Giant Day Gecko”

1. Dear Neil,
    I like all the research you did on the Giant Day Gecko. Do they live in Hawaii? Because I think I may have seen one. Do their tails fall off when they are threatened for defense? Are they really fast? I have seen the geico gecko on tv before.
    From,
    Lucas

1. Dear Lucas,
      I liked your comment to Neil. You followed the friendly letter format and including 3 details for Neil!
      From,
      Mrs. Fordyce

2. Dear Lucas,

The Madagascar Giant Day Gecko is not native to Hawaii. But they have been introduced into the wild in Hawaii. There are a lot on the island
      of Oahu. It’s tail actually fall off when it is scared. it can’t defend it’s self because it predators are so big and after the tail falls of it starts to wiggle like crazy so the predator will think the tail is still attached to it’s body and the predators mite eat the fallen tail.
      From
      Neil

2. Dear Neil,
    You were so clear in your description of how the Madagascar Giant Day Gecko looks! If I shut my eyes and listened to how you described this gecko, I would be able to see it in my imagination. I also forgot that it lays about 2 eggs at a time. I learned so much from your research. Thank you!

How long does this gecko usually live?

From,
    Mrs. Fordyce

3. Dear Neil,
    I noticed the Geico gecko is doing thumbs-up. Don’t you think that is funny. I also thought it was interesting that the Madagascar Day Gecko licks his eyes. I’m glad I have eyelids.
    From,
    Coen

4. Dear Neil,
    I never knew it drops its tail!
    How does it drop its tail?
    Will you write more to me about Madagascar giant day gecko?
    From,
    Simone