Arch Bridges

4114445171_2e34b5a243_z (1)

This post is about arch bridges. This picture is of the Fremont bridge. The Fremont is in the city of Portland. This how the weight travels. So first there comes the weight (which is a car, train, and lots more). The weight of the car goes through the arch and then to the ground. I think the arch bridge is the strongest bridge of all. If you build an arch bridge out of Legos and stand on it, the bridge will not break.

4 thoughts on “Arch Bridges”

1. Hi Neil,
    This picture of the Fremont is breath-taking! I don’t think I’ve seen a picture of it that makes the bridge disappear into the clouds. What else can you tell us about the Fremont Bridge? Do you know the history of this bridge?

I have a little song for you about this picture sung to the melody of “Over the river and through the woods”

Over the river and through the clouds
    to Interstate 5 we go.
    The weight of the cars goes through the arch,

Does anyone want to finish the chorus? The last line needs 7 syllables and the last word needs to rhyme with go.
    Mrs. Fordyce

2. Dear Neil,
    I love your picture of the Fremont bridge. I also did a post on the Fremont bridge. I like the way you thought about which bridge is the strongest. Do you know who made the Fremont bridge? I know who the Fremont bridge is named after. Do you? If you don’t the person is John Charles Fremont.
    From,
    Rhianna

3. Dear Neil,
    My favorite arch bridge is the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I hope to visit Australia one day and have the opportunity to do the bridge climb and walk over it. Have you seen pictures of the bridge? What is your favorite arch bridge?
    From, Ms. Caba